Math for Meaning: Story Problems 101
During this one-day intensive training, participants will be introduced to Lavinia Group’s Math for Meaning method that has helped our partner schools rapidly increase student achievement and confidence in mathematics. In this interactive session, teachers and leaders in Grades K-8 will learn the importance of using context as an inroad for making meaning in mathematics and the powerful teaching moves that bring Story Problems to life in any classroom.
Participants will come away with:
- A clear understanding of Lavinia’s Group’s approach to teaching problem solving and why it is critical to teach mathematics through context
- Clear and efficient frameworks for exploring the differences between various Story Problem contexts and understanding how these differences impact student learning
- A deep understanding of how to plan for and implement a Story Problem lesson
- Sample Story Problems and lesson plans by grade level
- A clear method for teaching Story Problems in a Remote Learning setting
WHO SHOULD COME: Teachers and leaders in Grades K-8 who are new to the Lavinia Group Story Problems method. Participants will be broken out by grade-band to ensure content is practical and highly relevant.
August 4, 2020
9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. ET
WHERE: Zoom Video Conference (This session will take place virtually.)
PRICING: $800 per participant